The live show blog for the veteran live shower. We'll talk about the haps in Region 10. We'll talk about issues around live showing and NAMHSA. We'll dip into my big box of ancient photos and discuss history. It will be a grand old time.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Model Horse Hobby in the Mirror?

I am gleefully working on a Walking Dead inspired performance set up. Its one of those projects that started out as being very specific, and has sort of evolved into being something that will be more versatile. I am really excited about showing it off. While I was in the gathering stuff I need for this phase, I stumbled on a website that sells 1:6 scale accessories for Old West figures. They also have a nice supply of Breyer scaled rifles, and well, who doesn't need firearms in the zombie apocalypse? I ordered some and joined the yahoo group for the company.

Most of the posts have been from people who appear to be on the older side, mostly men, who customize Marx figures and make little dioramas with them. The details are pretty neat. Naturally, some of these figures need horses. The original web site I found this stuff on did some CM work on Johnny Marx horses and sold them. Nice, but not hobby quality.

And then this lady posted an update to her website. And I really feel like I am looking at that first issue of Just About Horses I ever laid hands on in 1978. Though she does not call her horses RRH--she calls them customs. I realize I may be coming across as though I have posted this to make fun of the work--I'm not--its like I am looking at a parallel evolution to what we do. She's just doing it with a smaller group that is focused on what she does.

I was going to put my little WD scenario together and photograph it to see how it looked--its definitely a scene type entry (and its a behind the scense type scene. No zombies. Yet.)--and post a picture to this new yahoogroup to say "Hey, here's what I do in 1:8" but now I am not sure that I should, for some reason...I feel almost like I'd be...disrespectful? I don't know why though--I don't know that they'd be particularly interested in what we do in competition. Its possible they just enjoy doing their own thing, after all, and not care about our hyper realism.

There's a yahoogroup for 1:6 horses, and I *know* I have seen Rio Rondo selling 1:6 scale hardware (and wondering who was buying it)and I am pretty sure Sue Bensema Young had some 1:6 scale stuff at Breyerfest last year. Its like this whole sister group is out there and no one knows about it. I have heard of Luis Aguilar's horses, but I've never seen one. Here are cavalry sets that rival anything I've seen shown...and he does all sorts of different eras. The tack whore in me is going "Those prices are pretty good." Its not like having the right horse has ever stopped me before. I almost feel like I should snoop around these guys to find a set of hames and a it that would be a good fit for my monstrous Equus Maximus.

Did we scare off the Marx people early on with Breyer and Hartland snobbery? Does anyone out there have one of the Luis Aguilar horses? Do you show it? Why not?

Full of questions.

2 comments:

  1. I gotta admit being intrigued a few years ago when Luis Aguilar advertised his unpainted resins but I hesitated buying one. Now I am kicking myself because I really want one and it seems they are no longer produced. I have always wanted to show one in perfomance - since RR has bits in scale, and you can buy ball-jointed dolls and tons of props in 1:6 scale, it would be do-able. Would make for some LARGE setups though LOL!

    p.s. to see pics of his models and props search "Nohuanda Equine Art" on FB :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one of Luis' horses, the 'old' standing stallion, bought direct from Luis a few years ago. He's unfinished, and I'm not that into showing... I just wanted to make tack for him some day. The only 1/6 hardware I have is some leftovers from Lenham Pottery (yes, hames). Heather M.A. told me about the Marx group; they're like we used to be, she said.

    ReplyDelete

Yes, you may comment anonymously. Comments are moderated to avoid spammers, personal attacks, flaming and the like. Please check all personal agendas at the door, keep your hands inside the car at all times, do not defeat the safety harness and have fun.