The live show blog for the veteran live shower. We'll talk about the haps in Region 10. We'll talk about issues around live showing and NAMHSA. We'll dip into my big box of ancient photos and discuss history. It will be a grand old time.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Windrush Winter Warmup

Yesterday I attended the only model horse show I've ever been to in January. It was hosted at the home of Kate and John Cabot, who graciously welcomed Region 10 into their home for an old fashioned model horse show. Kate and John have a LARGE house, that accommodated about a dozen showers, four judges, and a few significant others for the day. Showers hung out on folding chairs and couches at card and coffee tables, and the two show rings were in the dining room which had lovely natural light for most of the show. We were limited to just artist resins and customs, but there were separate divisions for them, and the classlist was split in ways that allowed for fewer apples and oranges type classes than you might see at a typical show in this region. It was small...some might even say intimate. We had a hot lunch, there were snacks and drinks all day, and we got to spend the day in slippers.












And it was ROARING fun. Seriously. I did not feel like I was at a model horse show all day at the end of it. There was none of that midday after lunch OMG is this the Bataan Death March feel that I get some days. I think part of it was that the group was small enough that instead of everyone sitting in groups of 4 with their usual posse, we all interacted with each other all day long.



Steve even made a new friend.



Sharon Mossey showed off her new Eberl Grace, finished by Steph Michaud,and this was about the only model horse photo I took. I went with good intentions to take pictures, and got bored with it in a hurry. Perhaps I'll change my mind when I go back into albums and scan for hours at a time. Anyway, this mare was gorgeous.





It was not a performance show, but I did bring my new blingy tack by Sue Bensama Young. Viva Las Vegas got to show it off. This sapphire halter went nicely with her Stock Breed Champ rosette, hee hee!



One silly photo of Fraley draft horses. I think Al, the Punjabi, is going to get bitten.



We were also treated to a view of Kate's horse room, which she calls "The Vault." She has these gorgeous built in cabinets, with lighting, glass shelves, and glass doored fronts. It was like looking at a museum exhibit. Once the shelving for the chinas and various vehicles are up, I hope Kate does put up small descriptions of the horses with some of their history. Wouldn't it be fun to organize "farm tours" of our collections?

Skye and I had a great conversation at dinner on our way home about how much fun this show was, and how some of its innovations could be used in the Region to help keep showing accessible and fun while allowing it to continue to mature. I'm saving that for a post later in the week. Make sure you check the Facebook page for some more photos Linda took!

4 comments:

  1. It certainly was a super fun show. It was my first show at someone's home and I have to say I really liked the atmosphere. It was nice to have whole room conversations in addition to private conversations.

    Kate and John's house was gorgeous, so that made it even better! It was great to see you, Jackie and hear a few funny work stories!

    Here are some more pictures.

    http://picasaweb.google.com/regionxshows/WindrushWinterWarmUpJan232010#

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time and more fun in the intimate setting of someone's home! Showing in your slippers has to beat boots always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that sounds fantastic, guys! I'd loooove to see kate's vault one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this show embodied most of the reasons why I show without the overload, exhaustion, rush, etc. It had plenty of social and competitive opportunities at the same time. I truly hope that we see more like it, and wonder if others are looking over their homes as I am with an eye towards holding one!

    I also hope I remember to read this blog without it plopping in my mailbox.

    ReplyDelete

Yes, you may comment anonymously. Comments are moderated to avoid spammers, personal attacks, flaming and the like. Please check all personal agendas at the door, keep your hands inside the car at all times, do not defeat the safety harness and have fun.